Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Psalm 30

1 I will exalt you, LORD, 

for you lifted me out of the depths 

and did not let my enemies gloat over me.

2 LORD my God, I called to you for help, 

and you healed me. 

3 You, LORD, brought me up from the realm of the dead; 

you spared me from going down to the pit.

4 Sing the praises of the LORD, you his faithful people; 

praise his holy name.

5 For his anger lasts only a moment, 

but his favor lasts a lifetime;

weeping may stay for the night, 

but rejoicing comes in the morning.
6 When I felt secure, I said, 

“I will never be shaken.”


7 LORD, when you favored me, 

you made my royal mountain stand firm; 
but when you hid your face, 

I was dismayed.
8 To you, LORD, I called; 

to the Lord I cried for mercy: 

9 “What is gained if I am silenced, 

if I go down to the pit? 
Will the dust praise you? 

Will it proclaim your faithfulness? 

10 Hear, LORD, and be merciful to me; 

LORD, be my help.”

11 You turned my wailing into dancing; 

you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,

12 that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent. 

LORD my God, I will praise you forever.
Questions to consider:
  • What has been David’s experience of security? What is the apparent source of security he mentions in verse 6?
  • What happens to shake his confidence?
  • What is the source of a more solid sense of security?
  • Compare and contrast David’s despair with the final release from despair.
  • Honestly, what is your basis of security?

Possibilities for prayer:

Can you tell of a tale in which God lifted you out of “depths?” Think of some time in your life in which God has proven himself victor over difficult circumstances in your life. If you currently find yourself in a position in which you need God’s rescuing, ask for it! God wants to turn wailing into dancing and clothe us with joy--we just need ask and have faith.