Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Psalm 9:1-10

1 I will give thanks to you, LORD, with all my heart; 

I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.


2 I will be glad and rejoice in you;

 I will sing the praises of your name, O Most High.

3 My enemies turn back; 

they stumble and perish before you. 


4 For you have upheld my right and my cause, 

sitting enthroned as the righteous judge.

5 You have rebuked the nations and destroyed the wicked; 

you have blotted out their name for ever and ever.

6 Endless ruin has overtaken my enemies, 

you have uprooted their cities; 

even the memory of them has perished.

7 The LORD reigns forever; 

he has established his throne for judgment.


8 He rules the world in righteousness 

and judges the peoples with equity.


9 The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, 

a stronghold in times of trouble. 


10 Those who know your name trust in you, 

for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.

Questions to consider:

  • In the opening verses, what does David say he will do?
  • Which of these are presently a part of your life?
  • What is the experience of the enemies? Why?
Possibilities for prayer:

Have you ever tried to sing the praises of God’s name, just as it comes from your heart? Many of us have likely wandered around with a song in our hearts--perhaps something we sang at church or something similar--and even have sung that out. But have you ever sung praises direct from your heart? Those praises don’t have to have a beautiful melody or perfect harmonies, but should come from your experience of God in your life. Today, make a song of praise your prayer to God, whatever that might look like--something that is all your own, or a song that has touched your heart.