Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Psalm 142

1 I cry aloud to the LORD;
I lift up my voice to the LORD for mercy.
2 I pour out before him my complaint;
before him I tell my trouble.

3 When my spirit grows faint within me,
it is you who watch over my way.
In the path where I walk
people have hidden a snare for me.
4 Look and see, there is no one at my right hand;
no one is concerned for me.
I have no refuge;
no one cares for my life.

5 I cry to you, LORD;
I say, “You are my refuge,
my portion in the land of the living.”

6 Listen to my cry,
for I am in desperate need;
rescue me from those who pursue me,
for they are too strong for me.
7 Set me free from my prison,
that I may praise your name.
Then the righteous will gather about me
because of your goodness to me.

Questions to consider:

  • Why is the author "crying aloud to the Lord."
  • Why do you think that it is important that the Lord is David's refuge?
  • Why is David in desperate need?
  • What do you think is David's prison?
  • How would you describe the tone of this psalm?
Possibilities for prayer:

Sometimes it feels easy to resonate with the distress that is conveyed in this psalm. Is God listening? Will God respond? Why is life so hard? But David declares that God is his refuge, and we can do the same thing. When we find ourselves in situations that feel insurmountable, one step toward victory is declaring that God will save us. Even when that truth feels distant, or we're having trouble believing it, stating it can be the first step toward believing it. If you find yourself in such a situation right now, declare in prayer that God is your refuge. It might take some time to truly believe it, but persevere! And watch God work on your behalf.