Wednesday, July 7, 2010

2 Corinthians 6:11-7:4

11 We have spoken freely to you, Corinthians, and opened wide our hearts to you. 12 We are not withholding our affection from you, but you are withholding yours from us. 13 As a fair exchange—I speak as to my children—open wide your hearts also.
14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said:
"I will live with them
and walk among them,
and I will be their God,
and they will be my people."
17 Therefore, 
 "Come out from them 
 and be separate, 
 says the Lord. 
 Touch no unclean thing, 
 and I will receive you."
18 And, 
 "I will be a Father to you, 
 and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty."
1 Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.

2 Make room for us in your hearts. We have wronged no one, we have corrupted no one, we have exploited no one. 3 I do not say this to condemn you; I have said before that you have such a place in our hearts that we would live or die with you. 4 I have spoken to you with great frankness; I take great pride in you. I am greatly encouraged; in all our troubles my joy knows no bounds.

Questions to consider:
  • What is Paul’s desire for the Corinthian Christians? What does he expect of them?
  • Explain why Paul warns against permanent relationships with unbelievers.
  • What does this principle reveal about the character of God?
  • Why is it difficult to please God while united improperly to an unbeliever?

Possibilities for prayer:

I like how Paul writes that we should be “perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.” This idea seems a bit counter-cultural--in a society that encourages us to test the boundaries, to see just how far we can go without being “bad” or “wrong,” we, as Jesus followers are encouraged to change our orientation all together. It should no longer be about “how far is too far” but rather, “how can revere God and bring Him glory--make Him proud?” Today, let’s ask God to reorient our lives around Him, and to give us desires that show reverence.