Thursday, July 29, 2010

Proverbs 8:1-17

1 Does not wisdom call out?
Does not understanding raise her voice?

2 At the highest point along the way, 

where the paths meet, she takes her stand;

3 beside the gate leading into the city, 

at the entrance, she cries aloud:

4 "To you, O people, I call out; 

I raise my voice to all humankind.

5 You who are simple, gain prudence; 

you who are foolish, set your hearts on it.

6 Listen, for I have trustworthy things to say; 

I open my lips to speak what is right.

7 My mouth speaks what is true, 

for my lips detest wickedness.

8 All the words of my mouth are just; 

none of them is crooked or perverse.

9 To the discerning all of them are right; 

they are upright to those who have found knowledge.

10 Choose my instruction instead of silver, 

knowledge rather than choice gold,

11 for wisdom is more precious than rubies, 

and nothing you desire can compare with her.

12 "I, wisdom, dwell together with prudence; 

I possess knowledge and discretion.

13 To fear the LORD is to hate evil; 

I hate pride and arrogance, 

evil behavior and perverse speech.

14 Counsel and sound judgment are mine; 

I have insight, I have power.

15 By me kings reign 

and rulers issue decrees that are just;

16 by me princes govern, 

and nobles—all who rule on earth.

17 I love those who love me, 

and those who seek me find me.

Questions to consider:
  • To whom does wisdom appeal?
  • What is involved in the fear of the Lord?
  • Contrast the harlot and wisdom concerning their (a) relationship and approach to men, (b) place and time, (c) what they offer, (d) words, and (e) character.

Possibilities for prayer:

I really like verse 6. It’s a pretty simple call--listen, because the things that wisdom has to offer are trustworthy. But we’re not going to be able to hear those things without taking the time to listen. We don’t just inherently know. And what does it mean to listen to or for wisdom? In this passage, wisdom is personified, which may at first seem a little confusing. But for us, gaining wisdom is really about asking God for it, and then, well, listening to Him as He offers it. Today, let’s ask that our ears (and our hearts) would be open to hearing and receiving the wisdom that God wants to share with us.