Friday, July 30, 2010

Proverbs 8:18-36

18 With me are riches and honor, 

enduring wealth and prosperity.

19 My fruit is better than fine gold; 

what I yield surpasses choice silver.

20 I walk in the way of righteousness, 

along the paths of justice,

21 bestowing a rich inheritance on those who love me 

and making their treasuries full.

22 "The LORD brought me forth as the first of his works,

before his deeds of old;

23 I was formed long ages ago, 

at the very beginning, when the world came to be.

24 When there were no oceans, I was given birth, 

when there were no springs abounding with water;

25 before the mountains were settled in place, 

before the hills, I was given birth,

26 before he made the world or its fields 

or any of the dust of the earth.

27 I was there when he set the heavens in place, 

when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep,

28 when he established the clouds above 

and fixed securely the fountains of the deep,

29 when he gave the sea its boundary 

so the waters would not overstep his command, 

and when he marked out the foundations of the earth.

30 Then I was constantly at his side. 

I was filled with delight day after day, 

rejoicing always in his presence,

31 rejoicing in his whole world 

and delighting in humankind.

32 "Now then, my children, listen to me; 

blessed are those who keep my ways.

33 Listen to my instruction and be wise; 

do not disregard it.

34 Blessed are those who listen to me, 

watching daily at my doors, 

waiting at my doorway.

35 For those who find me find life 

and receive favor from the LORD.

36 But those who fail to find me harm themselves; 

all who hate me love death."

Questions to consider:

  • What are wisdom’s (a) identity and (b) authority in the world? In creation?
  • List different attitudes toward wisdom. What results from each attitude?
  • In what areas do you need to keep wisdom’s ways today? Why?

Possibilities for prayer:

Something that has been reiterated many times thus far in our study of Proverbs is the value of wisdom. Here we see that those find wisdom find LIFE and favor from the Lord. It’d be hard to argue that those are not things we want in our lives. Today, let’s ask God to help us seek and find wisdom, that we might find life and favor from God.